Sunday, March 11, 2012

LIFE AND MY CHILDREN.

 

by Rebeca Nunez Grillo on Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 10:56am ·
Today is March 11, 2012, Sunday, I've woken up with my head full of thoughts, emotions, and ideas. Last night when I went to pick up my daughter from the OLL Fair we had one of our usual mother and daughter talks. We briefly talked about her headache, what she ate, what rides she did, and who she saw. Precisely, who she saw, is what drove us to have a brief but deep conversation about life. We talked about the choices one makes whether they are the right or wrong ones and how they can affect and change our lives forever. We talked about how parents (of course always trying to do what is best for our children) can be the catalyst that pushes these teenage young adults into the wrong or right path.

I have told both my children that I will never get tired of telling them how proud I am of them, and that I will always make my feelings known about certain situations, decisions or people. Some of my opinions will be received positively and some will not. Nonetheless, they are very well aware that their father and I will tell them how we feel. I feel very confident in telling them because I have earned the ability or title (for lack of a better word) to do so because I am their mother and secondly because I am older and wiser. 

I have also made it clear to them that being older and wiser doesn't make us always right and that sadly older adults also make HUGE mistakes as well, of which 99% of them are inexcusable and totally avoidable. Those are all life experiences that are needed to shape who you will become. As I always say my own personal quote:
"Life will never be the same only different"

Now going back to what brought me to these thoughts. There is one particular friend of my daughter that she's known since preschool and at the tender age of 17 has unfortunately gone through life changing situations that have shaped her life forever and not in a positive way. We talked about how sad I felt seeing that young teenager having to go through such pain and confusion at 17. We've talked about how these teenage years can be so much fun for them and so scary for us parents. Both my kids know that their father and I want them to be the best they can be and most importantly loving what they decide to do and to always try to do the right, responsible thing. We will be there to support them. We've talked about that not all of their friends now will be their friends in the future and that along the way they will meet new friends that will also shape their lives. 

As a mother, my wish is it will be shaped in a positive way. I have so much faith in my daughter's inner "sense" that I am sure she will come to appreciate all the choices she makes whether they are the right or wrong ones and learn from them all. I pray that we may continue with those brief but so meaningful conversations. I have come to learn that my daughter who is also 17 has the ability and maturity to pick up on certain personality characteristics good and bad that truly impress me. I would like to protect my children from any harm, heartache, and any disappointments...I am very aware that I will not be able to do that 100%. All I can do is hope and pray that my children will have the wisdom and the right coping skills to overcome all adversity and life's disappointments and at the same time take in and appreciate all of life's wonderful things as well. I have told them time and time again that life is beautiful and full of hopes and dreams and that if you try hard enough you can succeed.

My daughter and son have told me, not in these exact words, that they are very lucky to have been born into such a great family. That, in itself, fills me with tremendous joy and fulfillment. I love you Caroline and Gregory!!

No comments:

Post a Comment